Love Kimchi Salt & Pepper Chicken
Make your own Love Kimchi Salt & Pepper Korean Fried Chicken at home! Follow our video to make our super easy, super crispy Korean Fried Chicken using Love Kimchi Korean Fried Chicken Batter Mix. Add our legendary Love Kimchi Salt & Pepper Seasoning and you have a fabulous takeaway style family meal any day of the week.
DIY Kimchi Kit Recipe
My DIY Kimchi Kit contains enough Korean Red Pepper Powder (Gochugaru), Glutinous Rice Flour and Dried Kelp to make 2 litres of Kimchi. Just use half of the Korean Red Pepper Powder and one package of Glutinous Rice Flour and one package of Dried Kelp to fill your 1 litre jar.
Love Kimchi’s DIY Kimchi Kit Recipe
Recipe by Hyeon Jeong Yoon
Kimchi Ingredients (Makes 1 litre of Kimchi)
700g Chinese (Napa) Cabbages
Salt Water Marinade 2.4 Litres of Water, 10 tbsp Rock Salt
Thickening Sauce 1 small piece of Dried Sea Kelp (small sealed bag in DIY Kimchi Kit), 1 tbsp Glutinous Rice Flour (small container in DIY Kimchi Kit), 1 cup + 2 tbsp Water
Kimchi Sauce 1.5g Ginger, 3 Garlic Cloves, ⅓ Pear, ⅓ Carrot, ⅓ cup Korean Red Pepper Powder (Gochugaru) (large pouch in DIY Kimchi Kit, use half for 1 litre of kimchi) , 2 tsp Salt, 1 tbsp Sugar, 3 Spring Onions
How To Make It
- Wash the Chinese cabbages (napa cabbages) and chop them into bite size pieces and put them in a big bowl.
- Mix the rock salt and water together and add to the Chinese cabbages. Cover the bowl with food wrap and marinate for four hours. When four hours are up, drain all the salty water from the Chinese cabbages using a colander. Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- To make the thickening sauce, put 2 tbsp water and 1 container of glutinous rice flour in a small bowl and give them a mix to make a paste.
- Add the water and 1 piece of dried sea kelp (small sealed bag) to a pan over a high heat until it boils and then simmer over a low heat for around 10 minutes.
- Remove the kelp and add the glutinous rice flour paste to the pan over a low heat, stirring until it thickens. Don’t worry if it is a little lumpy. Leave to cool.
- To make the Kimchi Sauce, peel the ginger and pear and cut into small pieces. Puree the pear, ginger and garlic in a food processor or mortar and pestle.
- Put the drained Chinese cabbage in a big bowl and add the chopped carrots, pureed pear, ginger and garlic, salt, sugar, Korean Red Pepper Powder (Gochugaru) and thickening sauce and mix well. Once mixed, add the spring onions (scallions) and mix until everything is combined. Make sure the bowl is big enough to make kimchi! I usually use a huge baking bowl.
- Sterilise the Kilner Jar before adding your Kimchi. Store your kimchi in the fridge. You can keep it as long as it lasts. Kimchi doesn’t have an expiry date.